Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Another Post

Okay. I saw an animal’s heart for sale when I went on the cultural tour. And bits of raw fish. And a pig hanging down while they cut the meat off of it. I felt disgusted, and the smell was horrendous. Why had I happened to see this? We were on a cultural tour of a poorer part of Hong Kong. (Granted, they do the meat thing practically everywhere.) They actually consider it to be the poorest district, and there are SO many people. I learned a lot, but at the end of the day, I was bored, tired, and hungry.

Speaking of being hungry, dinner was a no go. Ride and chicken. Seemingly an innocent dinner, right? The chicken looked like undercooked organs, and the rice was undercooked and tasted slightly burnt. Needless to say, I did not eat it. I didn’t eat the oyster cake either, or the calamari, or the cooked vegetables. I was content with going back to my room to search through my food for dinner instead. Whatever food there happened to be anyway. I have a limited supply of noodles and cereal, so you can imagine how well that’s going so far. (Fine for me!)

There are a few interesting things I previously forgot to mention. One of them is that, when traveling, you hardly ever see people without a phone or other digital device in hand, and most with earphones plugged in. But at the same time, it doesn’t seem to be an obsession, like it would probably be back in the States. It just seems to be only a way of passing time. It’s a bit strange, though, to me, to see so many people seemingly disengaged from their surroundings. Oh, and the iPhone seems quite popular here.

As for classes, things are going pretty well. They’re keeping me busy, though I must admit, two of my teachers are a bit monotone, and by that, I mean boring. I don’t mean to be rude or mean when saying it, but I just cannot hardly pay any attention to them when they speak, unless they speak directly to me with questions. The material is otherwise interesting, but that doesn’t help when you’re in the middle of the classroom and are threatened by sleep.

On to something you all might find quite entertaining. . . . Yesterday I went to go pick up some Dr Pepper that a store ordered for me. (They only had singles, so they had to order packs.) I carried a 24-pack of Dr Pepper for about an hour straight, from the store to the train (in which I stood for about half an hour, balancing without holding on to anything and unable to sit because of so many people) to the school and my hostel. I now have bruises on my hips where the cardboard crate sat, and my arms and shoulders are extremely sore. But at least now I have Dr Pepper!

1 comment:

  1. Aren't you glad the DP wasn't in bottles?! :)