Saturday, August 20, 2011

Not Long in Hong Kong

Okay, so let me get this straight. . . . No Dr Pepper. No pizza. No Playlist.com. No Pandora. No Netflix. Some of my apps say no. Did I miss anything? Oh, and there seems to be a lack of stuffed animals. My friend Hung said that I am like a typical American, since I went for the chips the first time we went into the store. Hey, like I said before, I was tired and didn’t feel like figuring out what looked or sounded good. I just knew what WAS good. Yesterday we took the railway, and then we walked about 10 minutes at night back to the hostel.

Just so you know, believe it or not, I think they make McDonald’s hamburgers better in Hong Kong than in the U.S. Not so fond of their fried chicken, though. However, I did not just eat at McD’s this time. I wandered the market by myself, and I bought some English bread and some sort of roll at a bakery that I plan to heat up and try tonight for dinner with my NOODLES. Oh, and while I was sitting in McDonald’s, I saw this guy run down the walkway with a cart of what I assume to have been drinks. The strange thing? He was shirtless. And no one seemed to care.

I feel rather accomplished now that I have made the trip by foot to the market by myself and managed to purchase things without a translator. By the way, did I mention I got that roll plus four large slices of English bread for just something around $1.50 USD? And I got an ice cream cone at McD’s for about $0.32 USD? My camera, however, was a bit over $300 USD (expected for this camera, even in the U.S.). It actually wasn’t a bad deal at all. It’s a very good Nikon. I got an 8GB SD Card for free, a little tripod, an extra battery (both of which are rechargeable), the cords and plugs, a carrying case, a bag, and even a mug. Pretty awesome in my opinion.

Oh, and guess what? The movies which were originally made in English ARE in English. They just have Cantonese subtitles. That makes me happy. And they’re not as far behind us with the movies as I thought. “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” is playing here, so that says enough. Don’t think I’ll be going to see a movie in a while though, not yet anyway. That reminds me. I need to check and see if my movie app works here. . . . Darn. It’s no help at all. I think the majority of my apps hate Hong Kong. At least my games still work. Haha.

1 comment:

  1. I love how we're viewed as "typical Americans" when we visit other countries. Yet nobody hears us saying "typical Chinese" when they come over here and head to a Chinese restaurant or go straight to the Chinese or noodle section of the local grocery store. Nothing wrong with it but, yeah, us Yanks are going to go to what's familiar when we're in a strange situation. We'll adapt as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete